Thursday, April 11, 2024

You Should Know


You Should Know 
By Annette Camp
April 11, 2024

You should 
know that I 
make mistakes.

I am not
perfect.

I feel grief,
fear, and
even anger.

I've not been 
emotionally 
supported
through life
altering deaths
and painful
unexpected 
change.

I detach and
focus on regret
rather than
solutions. 

I need to work
on emotional
openness and
expression.

I want you to
listen, empathize, 
and be patient. 

Because I am 
not perfect. 

I've been neglected
and exposed to
pure horror,
unstable and
dangerous 
environments,
felt unsafe and
trusted no one.

I take flight.
I freeze and
I fight.

I need to trust,
take risks and
build a secure,
stable life.

I want you to
explore with me
my anxieties. 

Don't walk away.
I'm not perfect. 

I've been around 
volatile people
and have been
violated; physically, 
verbally,  sexually
and mentally abused.
My voice has not
always been heard.

Passive aggressiveness 
may rear its head
and I may be unclear
in my communication. 

I need to calmly
speak my truth;
be clear in what
I really want. 

I want you to ask
what my needs are
and let me feel heard.

You should know
I'm not perfect. 

AND you should know
I'm doing the inner
work to heal.

4 comments: